Beiträge von Sako2232

Many topics has been mentioned in this ongoing debate about MG2 – MG2e.

About the reliability of the MG2 pistol I think it is fair to say that people are divided into two groups, those with problems and those without.

I can understand that the problem has been known for some time and different modifications have been made to the interior of the pistol. Sometimes it helps but not always.

Could it be that the problem is not in the mechanism?

I will give you an example where it turned out to be the grip.

In 1981 I bought a new SAKO 22-32 pistol. It has been a very reliable and enjoyable pistol during almost 40 years.

I didn’t shoot between 2010-2018. Starting again, I could notice a distinct difference in the recoil. It used to be a short blow going straight into my hand, only raising the front sight a bit. Modifying the handle I have had several variations, with the front of the pistol going up in a straight line to the left, to the right or even making like part of a small circle. And during the process of changing the handle the good old Sako sometimes became very temperamental. Up to 5 feeding errors during 60 shots (all stove-pipes). I really don’t know how low it used to be, I’ll say one error every year.

My experience is that it is reliable when the recoil feels ’short and sharp’ independently of how the pistol moves. If the recoil is weaker and stretched over longer time, there may be problems. Opening the handle a bit, so there was more space for the flesh between the thumb and the rest of the hand to touch the back of the pistol restored reliable operation.

My interpretation is, that those shooters who modify their handle in an unfortunate way, or didn’t do it although the fit to their hand was bad and they should have done it, may end up with an unreliable pistol, just as I did for some time with my otherwise very reliable SAKO.

When the recoil is short in time it means that the pistol stops quickly and the recoil spring is compressed correctly. If the pistol slides in the hand some of the energy goes into the hand and the spring is not compressed sufficiently to reload the pistol again.

The SAKO was a very modern pistol in 1981. Low center line and a rather angled grip. Todays standard will call it heavy and with a rather vertical handle. I could imagine that the problem is more severe in a MG2, which is not only lighter but also has a more flat angle so the pistol will more easily slide in your hand if you loosen your grip or if you don’t grip it high enough. So if you have a MG2 that doesn’t work well for you I can only encourage you to have a look at the grip. I painted the inside of my hand before holding the pistol. It left a color free spot around one square cm at the back of the grip. I couldn’t feel the lack of contact but the recoil for sure was different before and after I made the handle a bit bigger. And no more malfunctions :)

For the curious ones who doesn’t know a Sako 22-32, you can see it’s almost identical successor the TRIACE in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCSZhWya_M

Both of them are long time gone and today I will not recommend them for any serious shooting at 25m. But if you shoot at longer distances like shown in the video you will keep surprising yourself how easy it is to hit targets 45+ meters away. Look how close the 2 shots are in the last yellow target.